Friday, November 25, 2016

Agra

We drove for about 5 hours from Jaipur to Agra today mostly on good roads which made my driver, Victor, go even faster. My life passed before me only a handful of times!! Cars, tractors, motorbikes and tuktuks often go into opposing traffic! We stopped about 40 kms from Agra and paid my 500 rupees to enter Fatehpur Sikri, a red sandstone Fort and palace on the way to Agra. A really good example of Mughal design. I can't believe the number of Muslims and mosques here in Rajasthan. I have heard calls to prayer for several days in Jaipur and today in Agra. Apparently the Mughal empires followed the Muslim faith. I get the feeling the Indians do not like them much. Must be some history of conflict or a caste issue.

The Taj Mahal


I finished the day by visiting the Taj Mahal at sunset. It is closed on Fridays so we went to a park on the back side...it is just as impressive from there and saved me a 5 am start in the morning!

Fatehpur Sikri


No comments:

Post a Comment