Monday, December 12, 2016

Telemark, Norway

After a 38 hour journey from New Delhi, India with 3 flight segments, I arrived in rainy Stavanger and was greeted by my friend Benjamin. It seemed crazy to leave warm +25C weather in India and enter +8C cool humid maritime climate after weeks in the heat! I actually like it, though. It will help me transition to winter back home!



We decided to pack up and head out to Telemark where the Gaski family cabin is located in a remote valley south central Norway. The road was impassable for the final 8kms so we hiked in.


We hiked in as the sun set (3:45pm here!) and made it to the cabin in the dark by headlamp. It was a cozy, rustic cabin on a hill at about 1000 meter elevation, with a stream nearby for running water, no electric power, no internet of course! a warm wood stove, candlelight, comfortable living area and a composting outhouse.







It is quite surreal to walk by headlamp in the wilderness with few people, birds, no animals other than some elusive reindeer. The quiet was only broken by the NW winds that blew the clouds away. Having to get up in the night, I was out in the wind and noticed Orion as well as many stars and a waxing full moon!


We headed out at 7am in the dark as we had a long drive to Kristiansand. The sun rose at 9:30am (we are that far north!) So, I got my wish...snow, cool temperatures and to reconnect with my Norwegian family and a night in a cozy cabin in the woods!

Heading off home in a few days, concluding 62 days, 6 countries and countless memories. I feel blessed to have had this opportunity for adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment